Monday, March 3, 2014

ONE YEAR in the MISSION!!!

Buenos dias mi amor!
(L) Waving good-bye to her family at the MTC, and 
(R) one year later in the mission field
I have thought a lot about what I am going to write today.  I starting writing a list, but I am not sure if I am going to follow that today.  A missionary reminded me yesterday that today is our 6 month mark to the end [I'm due to come home 09/03], and we hit the one year on Thursday.  My mind has just been running in every direction about this.  I have had some times of worry.  I worry that what I could have given more in this last year, I worry that I didn't talk to everyone that I passed (because well... I didn't), worry I wasn't a perfect trainer and my companions will remember that!  But I have taken some time to just sit and really ponder about today.  I have made a few big goals that I hope to accomplish in these next six months.  One of those goals being to focus on today - focus on the day, the hour, the minute, and what I am doing in that second.  I read an amazing talk by President Monson that he gave a few years ago.  He says, "...there is no going back, but only forward.  Rather than dwelling on the past, we should make the most of today, of the here and now, doing all we can to provide pleasant memories for the future."  I had been praying about what goals to make and this was one of the biggest answers.  I have realized that I can't look back and think of what I could have improved on, or that I could have talked to more people.  I still have 6 wonderful months of my life to do this work.  I am going to take advantage of every day that I do have to be here.  It is still shaping me into the missionary that I so desire to be. 

I have also thought about what I have learned.  Oh boy!  Sister Wright and I were talking the other day about the things we did before the mission.  We talked a lot about the people we were.  I thought about who I was before my mission.  I was still a pretty cool person, jk, but my coolness has just shot through the roof.  Okay, humor is really hard over emails, ha ha!!  One of the biggest and most important things that my mission has taught me is to love the Gospel.  I love the Gospel so much.  There will not be a day that the Gospel is not in my future and present home.  I will know what to teach my children and how to strengthen my relationship with the most important people around me.  I love the scriptures.  The Book of Mormon has brought me the most peace.  I learned a lot about the Spirit last transfer.  It really spoke to me as I read the Book of Mormon, in my attempt to not feel so alone.  And I didn't, I always felt that companion of the Spirit as I read.  I love the basics of the Gospel that we have to use, to be able to strengthen our relationship with Heavenly Father.  Another big thing, is that I have learned how to love myself as a child of God.  As we truly and fully love ourselves and know that we are children of our Heavenly Father, we will be able to share that with others.  As missionaries we have to be able to love other people or they won't be able to feel it.  I have learned how to love others, and I'm still working on it :)  But as you all know, the thing that has touched my heart the most is the Atonement.  Whether it be for a mistake I have made or a day that I don't think I can finish, it is there.  That is where every second of comfort has come to me.  I know without a doubt that it is real.  It is there for us no matter what.  Jesus Christ suffered for us.  He knew what every single one of us would suffer here on the earth, and to Him, it was worth it.  I have felt loads taken off my shoulders because of Him.  I love what I do.  I never, in a million years thought I would be here on a mission!  I can't imagine myself anywhere else.  I don't want to be anywhere else.  I love the Gospel that Jesus Christ has taught us. 

Sorry this is super preachy, butttt that's my life!  We had a great week and things are going to be great this week as well!  I love you with all my heart!
The picture I sent was of another mini-missionary with us. She is from Hollywood and spent the weekend with us and wants to go on a mission.  Sweet story, and I wish I had time to share it, but must run!

I Love you, Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment